Prof. Dr. João Paulo Vilas-Boas
Full Professor at the Faculty of Sport of the University of Porto
Head of LABIOMEP-UP – Porto Biomechanics Laboratory, University of Porto
· Born in 1960
· Full Professor of Biomechanics at the University of Porto, Faculty of Sport, Portugal, since 2004
· 2022 ISBS (International Society of Biomechanics in Sports) Geoffrey Dyson Award
· President of the International Council Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming (icBMS)
· Head of the Biomechanics Laboratory of the University of Porto (LABIOMEP)
· Member of the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Course in Sport Sciences of the University of Porto
· Member of the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Course in Physiotherapy of the University of Porto
· Member of the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Course in Occupational Health and Safety of the University of Porto
· Member of the Direction Board of the Research Unit CIF2D / FCT
· Participant and responsible for several financed research and co-promotion applied research projects
· Promoter and co-promoter of more than 30 Ph.D. defended thesis in Portugal and abroad.
· Promoter of more than 85 M.Sc. dissertations.
· Teaches Biomechanics and Swimming Science at graduation and post-graduation courses of Sport Sciences, Bioengineering, Physiotherapy and Podiatry in a number of universities in Portugal and abroad
· Invited speaker at more than 220 scientific and professional international meetings
· Author of more than 600 presentations to international scientific and professional meetings
· Author of more than 400 scientific papers internationally published under peer review process, from which more than 270 indexed at SCOPUS (h-Index=31).
· Author and / or editor of 14 books with national or international circulation
· Editorial boards member of:
– Journal of Swimming Research
– Springer Book Series: Lecture Notes in Computational Vision and Biomechanics (LNCVB) 2
– Journal for Computational Vision and Biomechanics
– Revista Brasileira de Docência, Ensino e Pesquisa em Educação Física, Faculdade Central de Cristalina, Brazil
· Associated Editor of:
– Sports Biomechanics
– Portuguese Journal of Sport Sciences
– International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
– International Journal on Multidisciplinary Approaches to Innovation (IJMAI)
· Peer Review board’s member of more than 30 international journals.
· Chairman of the X International Symposium on Biomechanics and Medicine in Swimming, Porto 2006
· Co-chairman of the XXIX International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports, ISBS’2011, Porto, Portugal
· Swimming coach for more than 20 years, having participated at European and World Championships.
· Six times proposed and three times elected “Coach of the Year” of the Portuguese Swimming Coaches Association
· Three times Swimming Teams Portuguese National Champion (Futebol Clube do Porto)
· Coached bronze medalists in Dunkerque and Malta European Junior Swimming Championships.
· Olympic Coach at Sydney 2000 and Athens 2004.
· Member of the board of the Portuguese Swimming Federation between December 2004 and 2008
· President of the General Assembly of the Portuguese Swimming Federation from 2008 to 2012
· Member of the Board of the Olympic Committee of Portugal from 2012-2022.
· Vice-President of the Olympic Committee of Portugal since 2022.